Wednesday 5 November 2008

Darby and Joan again

I have just shed a tear or three as I waved part of my precious family goodbye. Hubby and I have had our treasures eldest son, his beautiful partner and their precious son Corbin for 5 days. I am too much of a cry baby to drive to the airport for farewells that my dear Hubby has to be brave and go it alone. It has been nearly a year since they visited, Corbin was just a tiny baby of 3 months and now he is a thriving bundle of energy at 15 months!! It was just a treat to be 'real' Grandparents' for a few days, it is hard to be a long distance Nanny and Pa when your Grandchildren live in another state.
Once again, I had a smile on my face as I was driving around with a car seat on the back seat of my car. It might seem such a natural thing for most Grandparents to do but for me it is a once a year special treat. I thought
I had child proofed my house so Corbin could run free relatively safely, but alas, there were many things I thought he wouldn't be interested in, What a silly Nanny I was. I did remember to move all my dangerous cleaning products from under the sink but of course I forgot to tie up the kitchen draws didn't I?
I was reminded of the strange shows little people love to watch on TV, gone is Sesame Street and in it's place is Iggle Piggle. I have to say that I much prefer Iggle Piggle to the whiny voices of the Sesame Street characters. Even at such a young age the world stops at 9am for Corbin to sit glued to Iggle Piggle, a whole 30 minutes where grown ups can do whatever they want without a little helper tagging along.
How strange it was to wake in the middle of the night and hear a little voice chatting away or crying as it happened on a couple of nights. Last night I thought about getting up to him then I remembered that I was the Nanny not the Mother, with a rush of sudden relief I rolled over and went back to sleep, not like the old days!!
Now I'm off to finish 'unchildproofing' the house till next time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...